Sunday, April 15, 2012

Cloth diapers

I'm by no means a true "crunchy mom" - sure I would like to do things that are better for the environment and for baby, but that is not my driving factor. I have always thought that cloth diapers were a neat idea. I love the patterns you can get for the outside of the diaper, I love how you can customize them, I love how once you spend money on either buying or making them, that's it. You don't have to run out to the store to buy more constantly (or set up an online order with target or amazon). Sure you have to swish the solid waste in the toilet but have you read the instructions on a disposable diaper? Guess what, you're suppose to dump the solid waste in those in the potty, too! It's just no one does cause it's convenient to wrap it up and throw it away.

It's funny to see people's reactions when I say I want to try cloth diapering. I have a few friends who have given me some really great advice (including to watch out for babies ultra sensitive bottoms with cloth). But most people look at me like I've got 8 heads. "Why?!" they say. I chuckle and don't listen to them because I want to try it myself first. I may not like it. But I may love it. And I won't know until I try. I am not opposed to disposables, I have no moral obligations about cloth vs disposables. I will not shun them nor do I feel anyone who uses them are "lesser beings" because I KNOW kids can be hard to diaper, I know Mom or Dad is very tired when it's 2 am and you've got messies everywhere thanks to an explosive little bottom. Even if I go cloth and love it, I will always have a pack of disposables in the house for emergencies and for when we travel. My main motive is to challenge myself and to save money in the process.

To make the process even more interesting, I want to try to make my own. I'm going to buy some reputable ones too in case mine are absolute failures XD I've never sewed anything that had fitted elastic in it before. I also want to make my own bibs, blankets, etc. - if Froggy's a girl, hair pieces too! I want to be able to make fun things without spending the money. I used to make costumes for pete's sake, I think I can handle something like a diaper! :)

I wish I could be a stay at home Mom. I can guarantee once Froggy comes and I have to work 40 hours a week, feed and care for the baby and my husband, and keep up the house/garden/etc, I'll be too exhausted to stare at a pattern. So, please don't laugh at me if this enthusiasm fails as I rip my hair out at 3 am due to an inconsolable screaming infant that's been screaming all night ;)

5 comments:

  1. In case you don't want to make them, you can have all of ours for free. Seriously, we have so many in every size. Or if you just want the inserts. We don't have any fun patterns of covers, just lots of colors (mostly boyish). But really, they're all just sitting in our storage unit never to be used again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously? That would be amazing if I could take those off your hands. That will really help, especially in the early stages of determining if I want to keep going cloth or not. Thank you in advance! That's so awesome.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, of course. I thought it was great doing cloth with Caden. We would have done it with Shepard too if we had been living in a house with a washing machine! Anyway, they seem like a weird thing to try and sell, so we'd love to get them to people that will actually use them. It is a pretty hefty investment in the beginning so it'll be good to try them out first. Once you get the hang of it it's pretty easy. Just a little gross once they start on solids. :) Anyway, next time we're at our storage unit I'll start digging them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you don't have the energy to make cute things, don't worry. ^_^ I can help you. And as soon as you find out what that baby is you let me know! I can't wait to start crocheting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw, yaay :) Thank you! I am blessed to have such awesome friends :)

      Delete